When to Apply

The federal financial aid application (FAFSA) is available on October 1st each year. For example, students enrolling for the 2020-21 award year may complete the FAFSA on October 1, 2019. Applicants will use 2018 tax information for that application. New York State residents may apply for most forms of New York State aid beginning October 1st.

To meet our priority deadline and to be considered for maximum financial aid, students should complete the filing process by April 15th for students enrolling in the Fall term and November 1st for the new Spring students. Financial aid is not automatically renewed, and must be applied for each academic year. In order to continue to receive federal and state financial aid, students must be in good academic standing and maintain satisfactory academic progress. The satisfactory progress standards for financial aid recipients are on the website under the “Eligibility Requirements” menu.

Potential students may apply for financial aid prior to admission, although financial aid awards are only offered to admitted students.

The federal government requires that the FAFSA application be processed by your last day of enrollment.

Federal Grants (PELL, SEOG) and Loans

Attention Tax Filers: We urge you to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when filing your FAFSA. For instructions read #3 below and select verification.

  1. After filing the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the government via email. The SAR will be mailed to you in the event you do not have a valid email address (i.e., in one week for electronic filing; four to six weeks for paper filing).
  2. If your SAR is incorrect or additional information is needed, go to fafsa.ed.gov to make corrections. Once you sign into fafsa.ed.gov, you can select "Make FAFSA Corrections."
  3. If selected by the Department of Education for verification you must submit appropriate income tax transcripts from the IRS and download the appropriate Verification Worksheet. The Department of Education selects students and you may be required to verify such items as income, family size, high school graduation or equivalent, and identity.
  4. Access your financial aid on the student portal at sunysuffolk.edu. Students offered federal work-study or a federal Direct Student loan must accept or decline on the student portal, sunysuffolk.edu. Select "MySCCC" and then choose Financial Aid. There you will find your financial aid status. Select "Accept Award Offer."
  5. If your award offer does not include a student loan and you wish to borrow funds for your education, complete the Student Loan Request and Adjustment Form and submit to your campus financial aid office.
  6. First time borrowers must complete an entrance interview at studentaid.gov.
  7. If you were awarded a loan your must sign an electronic Master Promissory Note (e-MPN) at studentaid.gov.
  8. You must sign the e-MPN before the Department of Education can release your funds. You will need to sign the e-MPN using your FSA ID and password.
  9. The Department of Education will send you a loan disclosure notice which will include your loan approval and or denial, the amount of your loans(s), and they type of loan borrowed.
  10. Loans will not be deducted from your tuition bill until the above steps are taken. It is recommended that you complete these steps before June 30th for the fall semester and December 10th for the spring semester.
  11. Financial aid may be reduced or cancelled if a student drops or withdraws from any course(s).

State Grants (TAP)

The New York State TAP program is for full time students (12+ credits per semester).

  1. After filing the FAFSA, on the confirmation page, you will see a link to NYS Higher Education TAP Application. This application allows you to file for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program.
  2. If you miss the link from the online FAFSA you may apply at tapweb.org. The Suffolk CCC school code is 2157.
  3. You will be able to check your TAP status on the HESC website.
  4. Your TAP funds will be disbursed to your college tuition account upon receipt.

State Grants (Excelsior Scholarship)

The New York State Excelsior Scholarship is for full time students (12+ college level credits per semester).  An exception is made for students with qualified disabilities under the Americans with Disabilities who attend less than full time and are registered with the College Disability Services office.

  1. Complete the FAFSA application as described above.
  2. Complete the NYS Higher Education TAP Application as described above.
  3. Complete the NYS Excelsior Application with Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).  Refer to the 'How to Apply' section of HESC's Excelsior Scholarship page for additional information.
  4. When you apply, you will need to upload a .pdf copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) and your unofficial transcript to the HESC website.  If you do not have a copy of your SAR, you can obtain one from fafsa.ed.gov.  Your unofficial transcript can be obtained by logging into MySCCC and selecting Unofficial Transcript in the Self-Service Banner menu.
  5. Your Excelsior funds will be disbursed to your college tuition account upon receipt.

State Grants (APTS)

The APTS program is available to part time students (3-11 credits), which must include at least one 3-credit college-level course.

  1. After filing the FAFSA, download the Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) application or obtain an application at your campus Financial Aid Office.
  2. Complete the APTS application and submit it to your campus Financial Aid Office along with a signed copy of your NY State Tax Return. If you are a dependent, please also submit a signed copy of your parent's NYS tax return.
  3. Your campus Financial Aid Office will notify you about your eligibility.
  4. APTS awards will be disbursed to your college account upon receipt.
  5. Note that your APTS award may be reduced for each course from which you withdraw.

State Grants (PTS)

The New York State Part-time Scholarship is available to students who are enrolled for at least 6 but less than 12 credits. 

  1. Complete the FAFSA application as described above.
  2. Complete the NYS Part-time Scholarship Application with Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC).  Refer to the 'How to Apply' section of HESC's Part-time Scholarship page for additional information.
  3. PTS awards will be disbursed to your college account upon receipt.